About Jacqueline Hogan
Marriage Counsellor & Coach
Bendigo & Online
Specialist in Relationship Counselling
Hi, I’m Jacqui,
I want to save you from going through some of the mistakes and hardships I encountered that could have been avoided, if only I’d seen a counsellor sooner!
I Specialise in Couples Counselling for Happy Marriages and Relationships.
My Passion & Purpose
My passion is helping you to be the best partner you can be. To help you feel loved, and be loved in a happy, and healthy, trusting relationship.
My purpose is to improve the lives and relationships of my clients and improve the mental health and wellbeing in our society.
My Professional Memberships
Where It All Started
I first saw a counsellor about 20 years ago for support during some difficult times of my own. I was at the point where I felt like I had no other option. Feeling a bit nervous I went to speak to the counsellor, not knowing that in the next hour, my life was about to change forever.
Going to counselling not only changed my life, I felt like it saved my life.
Counselling saved me from repeating the same mistakes, and from my own negative patterns of behaviour. It saved me from enduring further toxic relationships.
Counselling provided me with the strategies and resilience I needed to completely change my life.
I smile now when I think back to that time, and I still remember that pull inside me, the voice, the drive, the passion that fires in me today.
The voice said:
My Most Recent & Ongoing Training
Additional Training & Education
- Bachelor of Social Work (BASW) – Latrobe University
- Diploma of Counselling Psychology – Ampersand Australia, 2009
- Ron Siegel via National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral [sic] Medicine, 2017/2018
- Sue Johnson, National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral [sic] Medicine, 2017/2018
- Neuropsychological Perspective of Memory on Mental Health – Mental Health Professional Network, 2017
- An Evening with Eckhart Tolle – Eckhart Tolle, Melbourne, 2017
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy – Mental Health Academy, January, 2016
- Trauma-Focussed Therapy – Working with Children and Adolescents – Phoenix Australia Centre for Posttraumatic Mental Health, 2016
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy – Mental Health Academy; January, 2016
- Group Therapies and Strategies – Mental Health Academy; January 2016
- Practical Skills in the Treatment of Trauma & Dissociation: Working with Child & Adolescent Trauma Victims – Dianne Starkey & Judy Christian, 2015
- Supervisor Training, 2015
- Indigenous Counselling – Mental Health Academy; September, 2015
- Assisting Survivors of Torture and Trauma – Companion House, 2015
- Helping Clients Cope with Loss and Grief – Mental Health Academy, 2015
- Motivational Interviewing – Mental Health Academy, 2015
- Positive Behaviour Management in Schools with Ian Luscombe, 2014
- Pyrroles Disorder with Dr Alison Knight, 2014
- Art and Play Therapy with Jacki Short Centre for Community Welfare Training, 2014
- Exploring e-Mental Health Programs: with Julie Reynolds, ANU, 2014
- Working Together to Support a Child with Autism Spectrum Disorder Experiencing Sleep Disturbance (webinar) with Prof Shantha Rajarathnam, 2014
- Self-Harm and Suicidal Behaviours among young people (webinar) with Jo Robinson and Dr Simon Rice, APS, 2014
- Neuroscience 101 – Mark Waldman (2014 – ongoing)
- Public Speaking and Training (Webinar) – 2015 Mark Richards and Jason Reid
Book Your Discovery Session
From Small Steps to Leaps & Bounds
I took the smallest step available to me at that time and started a six week counselling course for beginners. I was hooked and never looked back.
I loved it! and I loved using the skills with my family and friends. I then sat front and center at many more professional development workshops with the Australian Psychological Society and gradually built up my knowledge and skills.
The next natural step was for me to volunteer, and I attended Lifeline Central Victoria training and Suicide Risk Assessment skills training and went on to volunteer with Lifeline for several years as a Telephone Counsellor. All the while, raising my two children through primary and into secondary school while running my own cleaning business in Bendigo.
Eventually, and with much courage, I applied to do a University degree at LaTrobe. I couldn’t believe my eyes when the letter arrived to tell me I was successful and I would be attending University the following year! I completed my Bachelor of Social Work and broadened my understanding of the theoretical basis of my vocation from there. I was particularly drawn to Psychology and focused my studies around childhood trauma and relationships.
After completing my degree, I went on to work in a women’s’ refuge and then on to Child Protection with Department of Human Services to share my knowledge and help parents in hardship. At the same time, I completed my Diploma of Counselling Psychology; implementing many strategic interventions and theories into my practice, including: emotionally focused couples therapy, positive psychology, curiosity and ignorance, cognitive behavioural therapy and many more.
With a thirst that never seemed quite quenched, I went on to study the latest in Neuroscience Research; Neuroscience 101, to discover what all the buzz about mindfulness and meditation was. I used the skills on myself and now share the evidence based strategies with my clients in my work today. Mindfulness meditation gives clients the capacity to witness thoughts and feelings and body sensations without identifying with them.
After travelling around Australia in 2012 with my partner Lee, we returned to Bendigo briefly prior to moving to Canberra where I worked with CatholicCare as a Senior Student and Family Counsellor. During this time I developed my own mindfulness and meditation program for children & parents to address the growing number of referrals.
Working with families and achieving great outcomes was rewarding, however, the desire to start my own business was so great, I left my job and moved back to Bendigo where I launched Jacqueline Hogan Counselling and Coaching in 2016.
Since then, I have continued my professional development and have completed further training including Gottman Couples Counselling Level 1, 2 and 3.
How I work
I blend three main areas into my counselling and coaching for the greatest benefits to my clients.
Firstly I incorporate the traditional, tried and tested theories and frameworks that have stood the test of time, based on years of research and study.
Secondly, I bring the latest in neuroscience and mindfulness-meditation based stress reduction strategies to help support clients through discomfort and change.
Thirdly, is my unique and superior support. This powerful pillar is included in all of my programs to support you deeply through discomfort and change.
Achieve The Results You Desire
The programs and unique resources, including personalised hypnotherapy and guided meditation have proven to be essential for my clients success and ongoing transformation. To learn more give me a call and lets have a chat. If I think I can help you, booking a discovery session is the next step.
Living What I Teach
I love the beach, kayaking, riding my bike and exploring a deeper connection with nature. I’m grateful for an amazing group of neighbourhood friends, and enjoy meeting with new and old friends in Bendigo and beyond.
I now see all my clients online via Zoom. Clients love the flexibility and convenience of couples counselling online from home.
I am an accredited Social Worker with full membership of the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW).
I look forward to meeting you and hearing your story to understand how I can best help and support you.
Get in Touch
Send Jacqui a message and request a callback.
Couples Counsellor – BASW, Dip PsyC, Gottman Level 3