About Jacqui Hogan
Experienced Counsellor & Coach in Bendigo
Hi, I’m Jacqueline Hogan.
I specialise in Couples Counselling and Life Coaching in Bendigo.
My mission is to help people in their relationships and through major life transitions. My passion is helping people succeed in life and 'lift' to be the best they can be.
I want to save you from going through some of the mistakes and hardships I encountered that could have been avoided, if only I’d seen a counsellor sooner.
Where It All Started
I first saw a counsellor about 20 years ago for support during some difficult times of my own. I was at the point where I felt like I had no other option. Feeling a bit nervous I went to speak to the counsellor, not knowing that in the next hour, my life was about to change forever.
Going to counselling not only changed my life, I felt like it saved my life.
It saved me from repeating the same mistakes, saved me from my own negative patterns of behaviour and saved me from enduring further toxic relationships.
It provided me with strategies and the resilience I needed to completely change my life.
I smile now when I think back to that time and still remember that pull inside me, that voice inside me, that drive inside me, the passion that fires me today.
That’s the voice that was telling me:
"This is what I am going to do now. I am going to be a counsellor...
I am going to save others from years of hardship and negative relationships and I am going to save them from what I went through, and save their kids too."
The inspiration for my Save My Marriage Program stems from this time of my life.
From Small Steps to Leaps & Bounds
I took the smallest step available to me at that time and started a six week counselling course for beginners. I was hooked and never looked back.
I loved it! and I loved using the skills with my family and friends. I then sat front and center at many more professional development workshops with the Australian Psychological Society and gradually built up my knowledge and skills.
The next natural step was for me to volunteer, and I attended Lifeline Central Victoria training and Suicide Risk Assessment skills training and went on to volunteer with Lifeline for several years as a Telephone Counsellor. All the while, raising my two children through primary and into secondary school while running my own cleaning business in Bendigo.
Eventually, and with much courage, I applied to do a University degree at LaTrobe. I couldn’t believe my eyes when the letter arrived to tell me I was successful and I would be attending University the following year! I completed my Bachelor of Social Work and broadened my understanding of the theoretical basis of my vocation from there. I was particularly drawn to Psychology and focused my studies around childhood trauma and relationships.
After completing my degree, I went on to work in a women’s’ refuge and then on to Child Protection with Department of Human Services to share my knowledge and help parents in hardship. At the same time, I completed my Diploma of Counselling Psychology; implementing many strategic interventions and theories into my practice, including: emotionally focused couples therapy, positive psychology, curiosity and ignorance, cognitive behavioural therapy and many more.
With a thirst that never seemed quite quenched, I went on to study the latest in Neuroscience Research; Neuroscience 101, to discover what all the buzz about mindfulness and meditation was. I used the skills on myself to test and now share the evidence based strategies with my clients in my work today. Mindfulness meditation gives clients the capacity to witness thoughts and feelings and body sensations without identifying with them.
After travelling around Australia in 2012 with my partner Lee, we returned to Bendigo briefly prior to moving to Canberra where I worked with CatholicCare as a Senior Student and Family Counsellor. During this time I developed my own mindfulness and meditation program for children & parents to address the growing number of referrals.
Working with families and achieving great outcomes was rewarding, however, the desire to start my own business was so great, I left my job and moved back to Bendigo where I launched Jacqueline Hogan Counselling and Coaching in 2016.
Since then, I have continued my professional development and have completed further training including Gottman Couples Counselling Level 1 and Level 2.
Our relationship has gone from a '2' to an '8' out-of 10!
How I work
I blend three main areas into my counselling and coaching for the greatest benefits to my clients.
Firstly I incorporate the traditional, tried and tested theories and frameworks that have stood the test of time, based on years of research and study.
Secondly, I bring the latest in neuroscience and mindfulness-meditation based stress reduction strategies to help support clients through discomfort and change.
Thirdly, is my unique and superior support. This is a powerful pillar I have in all of my programs to supports clients deeply to achieve profound change. When the chips are down you need the support and encouragement to get back on your feet; To connect with your motivators, your deepest 'why' and to take the lead in your life and command the profound outcomes you desire.
The exercises and support in my programs guide you and keep you on track helping you to avoid procrastination and giving up.
Ongoing professional Development & Training
I am currently completing the Bader-Pearson Developmental Model of Couples Counselling and I have recently completed studies in the Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy founded by Susan Johnson.
See the 'My Recent Training' box to see other training I have completed recently.
Developing Empowering Programs for Transformation & Success
I combine my passion, my life experience and my ongoing education and expertise to develop my own unique programs to empower clients for change & success. I develop ebooks, articles, exercises, therapeutic audios and delivery frameworks to support clients with their issues, goals and desires. The programs and unique resources, including personalised meditations have proven to be essential for my clients success and ongoing transformation.
Book Your Discovery Session
My Recent Training
- How to Help Clients Connect to Feelings That Often Lie Beneath Depression; How Identifying Core Values Can Help Clients Overcome Resistance; The Unwinnable Game of Social Comparison; Developing Pathways to Greater Wisdom and Compassion – Ron Siegel via National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral [sic] Medicine, 2017/2018
- How to find the Threat behind Client’s Resistance; Connections that Support Growth through Trauma; Working with “Never Good Enough” from an Attachment Frame; Fostering Strong Connections to Help Clients Engage with Uncertainty; Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy; How Patterns of Disconnection Can Trigger Depression; – Sue Johnson, National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral [sic] Medicine, 2017/2018
- Trauma-Focussed Therapy – Working with Children and Adolescents – Phoenix Australia Centre for Posttraumatic Mental Health 2016
- Neuropsychological Perspective of Memory on Mental Health - Mental Health Professional Network 2017
- An Evening with Eckhart Tolle – Eckhart Tolle, Melbourne 2017
- Positive Behaviour Management in Schools with Ian Luscombe 2014
- Pyrroles Disorder with Dr Alison Knight 2014
- Supervisor Training 2015
- Art and Play Therapy with Jacki Short Centre for Community Welfare Training 2014
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy – Mental Health Academy, January 2016
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy – Mental Health Academy; January 2016
- Group Therapies and Strategies – Mental Health Academy; January 2016
- Indigenous Counselling – Mental Health Academy; September 2015
- Assisting Survivors of Torture and Trauma – Companion House; 2015
- Helping Clients Cope with Loss and Grief – Mental Health Academy; August 2015
- Motivational Interviewing – Mental Health Academy; 2015
- Practical Skills in the Treatment of Trauma & Dissociation: Working with Child & Adolescent Trauma Victims - Dianne Starkey & Judy Christian: Directors Affordable Professional Development Training; 2015
- Exploring e-Mental Health Programs: An inside look at online resources for primary health care providers with Julie Reynolds, Australian National University 2014
- Working Together to Support a Child with Autism Spectrum Disorder Experiencing Sleep Disturbance (webinar) with Prof Shantha Rajarathnam 2014
- Self-Harm and Suicidal Behaviours among young people (webinar) with Jo Robinson and Dr Simon Rice, Australian Psychological Society 2014
- Neuroscience 101 – Mark Waldman (2014 - ongoing)
- Public Speaking and Training: (Webinar) – 2015 Mark Richards and Jason Reid
Adventures, Challenges, Loving Life & More!
I enjoyed caravanning life during the 2nd half of 2016 with my partner Lee as we worked remotely and travelled the east coast of Australia. During this time I wrote and developed two mindfulness and meditation based programs to help my clients.
"Before the coaching program I was lost and confused especially in regards to my personal relationships, family, career, future direction etc. I am now excited about the future instead of just letting life pass by."
Living What I Teach - My Work / Life Balance
I love the beach, kayaking, and riding my bike and exploring a deeper connection with nature. I'm grateful for an amazing group of neighbourhood friends, and enjoy meeting with new and old friends in Bendigo and beyond.
I see clients in person in my private and comfortable counselling room in my home-office in Golden Square, Bendigo. I also work online with video / phone / email click here to learn more.
I am an accredited Social Worker with full membership of the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW).